Saturday, August 13, 2011

Saturdays

When Matt wanted to marry me my dad warned him that I like to be busy and can't sit still for long. Yep, that's pretty accurate and unfortunately for Matt it usually rings true on the weekends when he is in relax mode from working all week and all I want to do is run around doing stuff! This last Saturday spent with Greg and Melissa pretty much sums up my ideal way to spend the weekend, from morning to night. 

We got up relatively early and had muffins for breakfast. Not just any regular run of the mill muffins either, these were chocolate chocolate chip muffins and did I mention they were gluten-free? Ya baby! Finally we came across a mix so good you can't even tell it's gf. Side note for anyone interested: Sunflour Mills is located in Boise and makes all sorts of great gluten free mixes. Pancakes and Waffles (with chocolate chips of course) are made around our place on a weekly basis with their whole grain all purpose flour. The aforementioned delectable chocolatey goodness muffins were made with their Chocolate Cake mix. Anyway the point is they are super delish and were devoured by all.



After breakfast we headed to downtown Boise for their farmers market held each Saturday at the grove. I was really hoping to take Carol and Faye there too, but they had to leave super early that morning to get back to California. They made it back in ONE day! From having done that drive more than a few times, I know is it not a fun one to make so my thanks goes out again to both of them for enduring it to come visit us!! :) 



Thankfully that morning it hadn't gotten too hot out yet so we were able to walk around for quite a while at the market. I love the look of downtown, it reminds me a lot of Pasadena in California. Lots of fun little shops, loads of interesting people to look at, and an artsy vibe. 


The men enjoyed some fresh homemade donut holes for second breakfast--the most important meal of the day.


You can't take Sawyer to the grove without getting in the fountains. Well for that matter,  you can't take him anywhere near standing or spraying H20 without him squealing with delight and running right for it! 


Greg snapped a photo of this man playing his harmonica. I can't stop thinking about how I really wished I had put some money into his cup when we walked by. Guess that means we'll just have to go back next Saturday and look for him.


When we left the market it had really started to warm up. Next we went over to Ann Morrison park where Greg cooled off in the water. I was tempted to do the same! Hot weather makes me cranky and I probably would have had more patience with Sawyer that day (he was super whiny from lack of sleep and his cold) if I'd just ran through the fountains myself!



At the park Melissa played with Sawyer on the playground. It was super nice all week with her entertaining him for me! He just ate up all the undivided attention.


After the park and taking a little dip in the Boise river our good day got even better when we decided to do Cafe Rio for lunch! We took it to go and went back to our house where Sawyer took a lovely two hour nap whilst we had lunch and some interesting conversation. I always love a good convo!

We wanted to do something fun with both of them before they hit the road the next morning to continue on their way to Wisconsin. They both are water park enthusiasts so is there anything better to do then go to Roaring Springs? I think not. We found out they had a great deal on Saturday nights for four from 7-10:30pm. It was a blast and the best way to end a hot day. We rode just about every water slide there (besides the lame ones) and floated in the lazy river and wave pool. It reminded me of the summers I worked there when I was a teenager. What a cushy job that was! Getting paid to get a tan? Um, yes please!


We had a great time with everybody and can't believe it's already been a week since they were here! Thanks everyone (Rosie, Steve, Faye, Carol, Melissa, Greg) for making time to come spend time with us. It was fun getting to see everyone after being away for 8 months. Hopefully not that much time will pass by again before our next reunion!

2 comments:

kwriter said...

Love the picture of the four of you "adults" and the one of my "boys" grouped together!

Victoria said...

You've already been gone for 8 months!? Where did this year go? Maybe one of these days we'll make it out there to Idaho for vacation ;).