Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Our House

Foreword: It is past midnight, I just got done doing homework for the past four  hours, and we had a household mishap this evening (which you will soon read about) so forgive any misspellings or grammar in this post since my brain is running out of steam. 

Due to many inquiries as to what our house looks like on the inside, here are a few photos: 

Our living room below is sporting our 'Tournee Le Chat Noir' poster that we got for less than $10 at TJ Maxx a few years go simply because we can't bear to part with it. It doesn't necessarily fit the decor, but until we find something more aesthetically pleasing the cat in all it's orange glory will stay put. A while ago I saw in a magazine a large clock sitting on a stand and liked the way it looked so when I opened up our bins from California and realized we owned a large clock AND a stand I put them both on the entertainment console. I like the look and the best part is that Sawyer has only made it fall once. 

I recently turned our couch diagonally after Matt's Aunt Rosie suggested the idea. It took Matt a little while to warm up to it, but we really like it now. It's nice to have the table behind it to set glasses on and it makes the room more conversation friendly as my Aunt Linda pointed out. Plus it's makes for perfectly angled television watching, what more can you ask for? 


Our front room still remains empty except for one white side table and this little gem that hangs on the wall. I found this at our neighborhood garage sale for only $1. Then I found the bird photo online and printed it out. Eventually the front room intends to have a bird theme--that is, if birds are not completely out of style by the time we get around to furnishing it. The keys I found at Ross for $3.99 and couldn't pass up. I foresee Sawyer having a lot of fun using them to try and unlock all sorts of things in our house. 


Sawyer's bathroom upstairs was one of the only rooms that was completely finished before we had family come visit. Thanks to a gifted beautiful bedroom set by family our bedroom is now done as well, but I don't have photos of that yet to post.  His bathroom all revolved around this particular shower curtain that I had seen at Bed, Bath and Beyond and really loved which is the reason I decided to do hair again so I could afford to buy it! The starfish hook was the final touch and was only $3.99 at TJ Maxx.


This photo was also found at TJ Maxx for under $15 and fit the theme perfectly. 



The blue shelf I found at the neighborhood garage sale for $1 too. And it was already painted blue so I didn't have to do a thing to it! The mason jar with shells, candlestick and sand with shells in the starfish jar were all things I blogged about previously, but I moved them from the window ledge and onto this wall shelf. In the frame is the front of the birthday card my parents gave Matt for his recent birthday.  I saw it and knew it would work great in the bathroom, so I ripped his card in half. Of course not until after he read it ;)



And then on the window ledge is the canoe I had painted previously with the shells sitting in it. So there you have it, one bathroom totally decorated and done. 


Also, with all the good that comes with being a new homeowner there is also the bad and the ugly. We have experienced the first bad having a dishwasher go kaput. Not too big of a deal. Unfortunately today we discovered the ugly when our fridge was dripping water. all. over. the. floor. I first noticed the laminate flooring in the kitchen bubbling a little this morning and then it looked like it was getting worse throughout the day. Matt went under the house to check things out and saw the boards were soaked! We finally figured out it was the fridge and had my dad come over to assess the damage. Looks like we'll be making a call to our insurance company in the morning. Yippee. It also looks like our floor will need to be completely ripped and replaced in the pantry and leading into the kitchen where the fridge is. Double yippee. As frustrating as it is we are trying to keep things in perspective and just keep telling ourselves, it could be worse. 




1 comment:

Victoria said...

I guess there is an upside to renting ;). I like the beach theme. That is a great shower curtain, and knowing BB&B's prices, I'm sure it cost an arm and a leg. I recently rearranged my living room furniture too. I like when furniture placement encourages conversation!