Tuesday, January 25, 2011

That's Bogus

Sometime last week, my dad, Matt, Mike (my brother's friend/our neighbor/my parent's other child) and I went up to Bogus Basin to do some night skiing or night boarding in our case. We'd been chickening out the past few times we had planned on going because it was either going to be way too cold for our California acclimated selfs, or it was going to snow. Somehow we've turned into fair weather only boarders! That didn't used to be the case because when I was younger I would go every chance I got, rain, snow, hail, it didn't matter. Then you turn into a grown up and suddenly have to factor in the cost of two people going instead of one, finding someone to watch your kid/kids and forget doing any tricks or big jumps because you can't afford to get  injured as an adult with lots of responsibilities! 


 Still, it was a lot of fun and we did find some ledges to "carefully" jump of off. Mike video'd a bunch of them, but the playback I found pretty disappointing :( I thought for sure I'd gotten a good 3 or 4 feet  of air on one of them! Sadly, it was more like 3 or 4 inches. But I did land them and remained unhurt, so in that aspect, goal accomplished. 



An awesome full moon was out and as the night went on the icy conditions of the snow actually softened up. Not sure how that worked, but we enjoyed it! Below are my dad and Mike up top,  right before we blasted down the mountain. 



We probably did at least 15-20 runs from 5 pm when we got there until about 9 pm and the whole night only cost us $10 per person. DEAL! We took a break in the middle to get some hot chocolate and fries and defrost our frozen toes in the lodge. 


It was rejuvenating to get away for a few hours and have fun doing something we both love to do.  I can't wait to go again! Too bad my babysitter a.k.a. my mom is moving to Australia for three months.  Maybe next time Sawyer will be joining us on his own little two foot snowboard. What age can little kids learn to snowboard at anyway? I guess we'll find out!

3 comments:

HowellAZ said...

Fun times! I too sometimes feel like a drag now that I'm 'old' and an adult - but you guys are adventurous and are always out doing fun things. It looks like you guys had a great evening and that picture of the moon is amazing!

Shalee said...

Good old Bogus and its night skiing! Looks like you guys had a fun time! If you are ever in need of babysitters after your mom leaves let me know! I have two younger sisters that are pretty amazing at babysitting!

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

Who is the cute guy sitting next to you at the table? Hot Tamales!