Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Oh Bother.


The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks. ~Randall Jarrell


I've decided that to make a new and improved version of myself I am going to try my darndest to stop complaining. My first new years resolution was originally to stop gossiping, but when you get down to the root of it gossiping is really just complaining about someone else. Looking deeper I think I've fallen prey to complaining in some circles just to fit in. There's always that coworker or acquaintance where just about the only thing you have in common is to whine, whether it's about work, school, your spouse or life in general. Now when it gets to complaining about your significant other I've tried to draw the line at that so instead I would say nothing at all. Who really wants to hear about how wonderful, intelligent, handsome I think my husband is and how great he treats me, when all they can seem to talk about it how awful their own relationship is. Sometimes I feel like one of the main reasons I complain is because I feel like doing the opposite would be bragging. I guess that's my own issue. I don't want to make someone else feel bad by talking about how great everything in my own life is so instead I downplay it. But let's face it, my life doesn't suck at all. In fact it's terrific! And most likely a lot of complainers out there have it just as good as me. So there you have it. That's my goal to become better and I'm asking that those I talk to frequently to hold me accountable to it. If you hear me being an Eeyore, a Grumpy Gus, a Pessimistic Pam, a Whining Wendy, a Bellyaching Beatrice, I hope you call me out on it. I've been blessed more then I deserve and it's about time I started acting like it.


No comments: