Friday, February 19, 2010

Desperate Times Call for.....Rice Cereal.

I was really trying to hold out on starting Sawyer on solids. Our pediatrician recommended waiting until he was 6 months since it's been proven they have less food allergies that way. And since I am the queen of food allergies I was going to wait. That is, until I've had to get up just about every hour at night to feed him because he's starving and have been running on no zzzzz's.  Last night at around 3:00 or 4:00 am (not really sure because I was so groggy) after being woken up for what felt like the twentieth time in a row, I had a bit of meltdown. Or a lot of meltdown. Tears. Throwing things. Yep, the whole works. It was a tantrum and all due to lack of sleep. That's what happens  after only getting 4 hours of it every night for 3 weeks in a row.  
So I caved. 

We went and got the feeding essentials tonight.
He'll be five months in a week so I'm hoping I can keep him on just rice cereal until he is closer to the six month mark before introducing other food. 



Here comes the airplane. 



Open up the hangar!



Looking a little skeptical about the whole situation.



Until he realized it was surprisingly delicious!

I'm hoping it does the trick and he'll sleep for a good stretch tonight from having a full tummy. Cross your fingers for me. And for Matt since I'm sure he's tired of having a cranky wife! 

8 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

it looks like he loves it! and DON'T beat yourself up about it!! really- four months is an okay age to start! and once you get into veggies it should be pretty basic because there are so few allergies associated with veggies. and meat, too. my friends pediatrician had her START her baby on meats at about 5-6 months instead of grains and she's had a lot of success. good luck with it. With my kiddos I started to realize that whatever makes mom the happiest- usually also makes baby the happiest. I am a very unsuccessful parent when I am tired/miserable/cranky/in pain, etc.

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

Did it help? Did he let you get some sleep.

Shalee said...

Oh the things our little ones do to us!! We've all had our weak moments! I hope the cereal works and you get some sleep!!!

endlessglowbyjessica said...

Kristen... your baby is just so stinkin' cute! I hope you can ward off the food allergies as well! Just wanted to let you know I enjoy all the pics of him, and I hope you are able to get some sleep soon!

HowellAZ said...

Love the pictures! Jett started early on cereal - but I am holding off for another month for 'real' solids. Can't wait to see Sawyer again!

Steve and Hailey said...

Oh that is really funny! I hope it really works for you. I still keep up with Griff and I just always remind myself how worth it he is and that someday we'll live in a big enough place that my two kids won't be sharing a room.

Anonymous said...

Awww, poor Sawyer (and mommy!!) for lack of sleep! Your only one month ahead and frankly, TC got rice cereal at 4 months and he turned out ok! LOL Something about being 20 years young and knwoing nothing about an infant will do that to you. LOL Hopefully this helps get you both to bed (and stay there). Khloe LOVED her cereal, but it clogged her up a bit.... OK a lot. So we had to take her off. but if it wasnt for that she would eat that stuff for breakfast, lunch & Dinner.

kimberly said...

I had to leave a comment :) I'm sooo with ya there lol! It's 11pm and I'm gearing up for another one of those nights! It's a good thing they're so stinkin cute and so worth it - nobody else could get me up that many times in a night that's for sure! Okay and I have to confess I laughed my head off at the tantrum part, because literally a couple nights ago I had myself one of those except I didn't throw things, I hit my pillow over n over lol! And I think you're awesome - only a month earlier than you planned and he looks like such a happy boy to have it that's for sure! Here's to MORE sleep! I really hope you're getting it! P.S. you n Matt officially make adorable children :)