Friday, December 18, 2009

I've Become One of *Them*



So before I had a kid I would always judge other parents. Pretty harshly too I might add. You know like the ones you see in the grocery store with the screaming toddler and you watch the parents give them a candy to make them be quiet. I would say to Matt with disgust, oh we're never doing that. If our kid throws a tantrum in public we are marching them right back out the car and taking them home! That's just example number one of all the "mom rules" I made for myself.....

 I swore I'd never use a leash on my offspring (even if the ones attached to animal backpacks are kind of cute), promised myself that I would never feed our kid crappy McDonalds food, take them to Toys R' Us since that just seems like a parents worst nightmare, or let them be seen with a runny nose since I've seen plenty of kids with those and that's just gross. I swore that I would never get all mushy and sappy either. Well I can check that off as broken rule number one already. ( Refer to my last post to see what I mean. But I was being honest, that is the best part of my day.)  Also I never thought I would be the person who gushes about their child like "look how beautiful their eyes are" or "aren't they absolutely adorable?" No offense to those who do, but really that just seems totally and completely narcissistic! I mean after all they are a product of your genes.  But I too am guilty as charged. Although in my defense Sawyer looks nothing like me so when I say how cute he is I am 100% inferring that Matt is good looking himself, which is the whole reason I married him. :)

All in all I have prepared myself that I am inevitably going to become the parent I never said I'd be, at least occassionally. Hey nobody's perfect!  But that's okay because I wasn't at all prepared for what being a mom is like until it happened. I wasn't even sure if I would be a good one or even enjoy motherhood. It definitely suits some people like the ones who dreamed of being a mom since they were a kid themselves.  I just wasn't sure if I was the mom type.  I'm glad and also relieved to say that it fits me like a glove. I've got the protective mother bear thing going on already where if you say something even slightly rude about my kid, I'll punch you in the neck. Okay, I won't really, but that doesn't mean I won't want too really bad. Not to mention if you hurt my kid what I would do, we won't go there, but serious bodily harm does come to mind. Sooooooo now that I've frightened everyone away from ever interracting with our little family again :) Anyway the bottom line is,  I'm more enamored with this little guy then I ever thought was possible. I know I'm gonna break most if not all of my mom rules along the way, but as long as I never get caught wearing mom jeans or getting a mom haircut then I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

kimberly said...

I missed sooo much already! Thanks for the invite :) It's my fault though, I didn't post my email. First of all, love the picture, and glad ur not wearing those jeans and gettin the "mom cut". Isn't awesome how one little 7 lb person can turn you and your whole world around! I can tell your the best mama, Sawyer's just as lucky to have you as you are to have him :) Love ya