Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Back to Bethlehem

Last night we went to Rocky Peak church where they had this christmas event called "Back to Bethlehem". They set up this field to look like Bethlehem and gave you sheckles to spend around town on goat cheese, bread, spices. The little kids could get "jobs"at the different huts weaving baskets, dying yarn, making clay pots. It was a huge family event! The night before we went they had almost 5,000 people show up.

You had to watch out for the tax collectors and centurions that were walking around who would take your money. The first thing we did was wait in line to be led into the stable to see Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus (who was actually a real baby). My most favorite part was the little shepherd boy herding his flock of sheep. All the people in costume were really good about staying in character, even the kids who were participating.

The guy in the picture at the top of the collage to the left of me had scrolls he was handing out. To get one though you had to answer a biblical question correctly that he would ask you. He said the level of hardness of his questions were porportional to height. Since I was wearing heels I let Sawyer answer. He got us a scroll!

On the way out they had hot chocolate with marshmallows. And what's even better, it was actually cold outside! So much so that we had to button up our coats while we were there. All in all it was a fun night and one that we look forward to doing again next year.


1 comment:

endlessglowbyjessica said...

Hey Kristen... I am so new to this blog thing, I just saw you left a comment! Haha! I love your blog and your little Sawyer is soooo cute! So, Daniel and I broke up... shit hit the fan literally the night after I wrote my second post. I will explain more if you really want to know, but I am just responding to your comment finally! I hope you and Matt are well and had a great holiday... ps, I loved the pics of the marketplace my church in Wisconsin used to do that too!