Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hidden Valley part deux

Let's try this again.
Tonight Matt and I decided in honor of the extra daylight since the time change that we would go on a bike ride. First Matt had to get the bikes ready which consisted of filling every tire back up with air, some serious dusting off, and some oil on my VERY rusted bike chain would have been nice, but thankfully it didn't cause any problems on our ride. 


  We set out a little after six and rode about a half mile away into a neighborhood.  




In one of the cul-de-sacs near the back of the neighborhood we saw a dirt road and thought we would be oh so adventurous and follow it.  The dirt road took us back into a valley filled with a MILLION bike trails, hills, a creek! I was so excited I nearly fell off my bike! I couldn't believe this whole past year of riding our bikes on boring sidewalks that this place had been under our nose the whole time! I felt like Little Foot in the Land Before Time who had just found the Great Valley full of tree stars. We frolicked along on our bikes looking at all that nature had to offer....trees, birds, rocks, shopping carts (insert screeching brake sound here) yes, that's right, shopping carts.

I don't know what it is with Californians and their fascination with shopping carts. They are everywhere! When we rode our bike last summer along the canal it was littered with them. In our first apartment the 'shopping cart police' used to patrol through the neighborhood loading up their truck with the all the carts people had stolen from the grocery store,  brought back to their home and had intended on keeping. It's bizarre, and maybe everyplace is like that too and I just never noticed. Anyway, we had a lot of fun exploring the valley that had been hiding from us all year and can't wait to go back. One bike trail down, 999,999 to go.  And now I know that if ever my rusted chain breaks out there all I need do is put my bike in one of the carts our hidden valley has to offer and push it home. 

1 comment:

taylor and laney said...

I wish we had shopping carts everywhere here. I love shopping carts. and I think it's okay if you call taylor too tall taylor. we aren't offended. anfd I can't believe you thought the cookies were called Samoans! i about died when I read that.