Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wanna Go On A Date?

One night while we were in Boise, Matt and I decided to go on a date. We decided to head out after Sawyer was in bed since he hadn't been his usual perky self for a fews days and had been pretty clingy. He had actually thrown up for the first time ever (Eew. And being consistent with what we had agreed upon prior to getting married and having kids, Matt had the honorary job of cleaning it up.) We assumed his tummy issue must have been from gorging himself with a variety of food at Thanksgiving dinner. Then my mom started to not feel well the next day, followed by my dad having an upset stomach later that night. But we felt fine and after Sawyer was in bed we headed out to go see the gardens by the old penitentiary that were all lit up for Christmas. 



We drank some hot cocoa while we walked around looking at all the lights.


Checked out the kids garden area and made a mental note to take Sawyer back there in the spring.


Took some photos of just the two of us since most of our iPhoto library consists of mainly solo Sawyer shots.


Tried to keep warm by stopping at each and every fire pit and toasting our toes and fingers over the flames.



 And afterwards we grabbed a bite to eat at a restaurant downtown where we shared a burger and fries because for some strange reason we weren't very hungry. I'm sure you can guess where this is going...


A few hours after our wonderful date we tossed and turned in our bed with stomach pains. Turns out our little bug Sawyer had brought home a bug that he so generously shared with the rest of us. And I thought he wasn't good at sharing! The next morning I had two appointments set up at universities in the area to look at their nursing programs. At 2 a.m. in the throes of flu-induced nausea we both thought there was no way we were going to be able to make those appointments. But by 8 a.m., knowing we couldn't miss them, we put on a fake happy face, decided we had to pretend like we felt good because honestly I wouldn't want someone coming to have a meeting with me if they had the flu (but to be fair we did NOT shake any one's hand) grabbed some 7-up to sip for breakfast, and made it to both planned appointments.  Thankfully Matt started to feel slightly better by the time he had to get on a flight later that day to head back to California. I felt back to normal until the next day when last, but not least, my brother Bryson got the dreaded bug and then by some craziness I got sick again! I didn't think it was possible to get the same sickness twice, but my body must have thought the first round was so much fun why not go for round two?  As awful as it was to be sick, I was grateful my mom was around to take care of me. No matter how old you get, it's still comforting to know your mom will make a Sprite and crackers run for you when you need it.

Ultimately it was a good date and a good trip despite the Influenza virus plaguing the whole family.  It will just turn into one of those "Remember that one time we all got sick because of Sawyer?" memories that we can tease him about when he's older.

4 comments:

Shalee said...

How fun! I love date night!!! Your pictures made me want to head over to Boise! I'm sorry you guys all got sick. We had a christmas like that one year. It has turned into one of those remember.... You guys getting ready to make the move up to. Boise?

Victoria said...

The stomach bug is awful!!! Samantha had it twice when I was pregnant with Ryan. No fun. And yes, you can get the same stomach bug several times. It's colds that you can't catch twice.

M or J said...

Booo to getting sick! But I've always thought it was very good luck that Sprite makes you feel better when you're throwing up. I can always use an excuse to drink soda. :)

rachel garber said...

So excited you'll be in Boise! Next summer when I am there, we'll have to get together. Wait. I'll be there in March. You game?

That's funny your mom is reading my blog :) Hope she's enjoyed it. I did post that I'm done posting about Boy and I for now . . . it was kinda awkward when somebody's mom went up to my mom at church today to congratulate her on my engagement . . . especially since it hasn't happened yet. So a Sabbatical I will take from talking about him until it's official. Which, who knows when that will be.

But I'd LOVE to see you!