Friday, January 22, 2010

My Brest Post Yet

Even before we found out I was pregnant I knew that one day when I had a baby I wanted to breastfeed. I had read about all the benefits vs. formula and was determined to start nursing from the moment they entered the world. It wasn't easy in the beginning. Far from actually. After Sawyer was born I was nursing every hour and not knowing if he was getting anything or if my milk had come in yet. I didn't know what I was doing, he didn't know what he was doing so we were both trying to figure it out and from lack of experience I was so stinking sore! He wasn't latching on correctly so in the first two weeks whenever it was time for him to eat I told Matt and my mom (who was in town helping me) not talk to me during the initial latch on unless they wanted to get yelled at! I had to grit my teeth and refrain from using every swear word I knew.....but then thankfully by week three it had turned into a breeze.

I realize not every mother who tries to breastfeed succeeds at it, nor does it come easily and a lot end up not being able to for a number of reasons. But I applaud every mom who at least tries since it's been proven time and time again that it's in the best interest of the child. Now after all the education that's out there that "breast is best" and all the overwhelming literature on the benefits of breastmilk I can't help but wonder...why do so many people NOT support breastfeeding mothers? To steal from an article I read on this website because I can't say it any better then this: Some other mothers may be uncomfortable with breastfeeding, have unresolved feelings of guilt or anger, be prey to myths and misinformation, and intentionally or unintentionally try to undermine you. Obviously I am not the only one out there who has experienced that. It goes on to say: New moms don't need more judgement, pressure, or to be discriminated against for nursing, they deserve to be cheered on, coached and celebrated. Thank you! I couldn't agree more. Now if only I could wear a button that says that. I'd pin it right above my ta-ta's.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are one brave soul! LOL I struggled with TC and stopped when he was like 3 months old. But I am proud to say Khloe is 13 months and we are still going strong! I cant agree with what you said about people who bring you down about it most likely have a history of not being able to for whatever reason. Its sad. but this society makes it easier for people to NOT BF. Such a dissapointment. And just for comparing sake,lol, I can say also that the same month I quit BF TC he had his first ear infection. he continued to have an ear infection every month until he was 1 year old. Khloe on the other hand..... has never had one. I attribute that to BF as well. :) Sawyer is a lucky little boy to have a mommy like you.

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

I hope people aren't giving you a bad time about your personal choice! Way back when I was nursing I had comments about breastfeeding being way too personal and THAT it is. Nice thing is, it's a choice. I support people who choose not to breastfeed, whatever their reasons, and hope those who choose to will be given the same consideration. I do prefer the "hooter hider" and some discretion by mommies in public, though.

Jessica Hintz said...

I think you made a great choice deciding to breast feed! It is better for the baby and you need not be ashamed. Although, I am a girl and boobs just don't really phase me as they do some others! Watch Friends season 2 episode 2 "The One with the Breast Milk"... it will give you a laugh! Anyways... I give you a thumbs up via the internet for doing what is best for Sawyer and for you!

Victoria said...

Hmm, I felt the opposite way when I stopped breastfeeding Samantha at 12 weeks and went to formula--like I was an incompetent mother. I guess it depends on who you are around. It is hard, and some children get it more easily than others (Ryan is a pro unlike his big sister was). I'm glad you stuck with it. It's easier the second time around--trust me. You know what you're doing, know what to expect, and have a lot more patience. I guess since I'm around so many breastfeeding mothers, I don't feel weird at all about it (I do use a cover when I'm in public--I don't want the world to see what's reserved for my husband and baby). I think it's weird when mothers don't breastfeed.