Thursday, July 2, 2009

Babymoon

We left for our vacation on a Tuesday after work around 5:30 and thought for sure we would make it to our arizona destination by midnight. Wrong! We rolled in right around 3 in the a.m. I tried to be a good co-pilot and stay awake on the way there, but car rides tend to make me narcoleptic and I kept dozing off only to suddenly pop up alert and wide eyed every 10 minutes or so and blurt "you're awake, right?!" to Matt the lonesome chaffeur. The next day, our first full day of relaxation was spent indoors moping around in a state of zombie-ness due to our lack of sleep hangover.

After catching up on our Zzzzz's, the next day we made an impromptu trip to Mesa to visit Ben, Chantal and their budding baby boy. My dad had requested a belly to belly pic so we bellied up for him. Mind you, Chantals due date is Sept 18 and mine is Oct 5. Although you would think they were reversed in belly comparison. I'm predicting our boy is gonna come out looking like a tank.
We brought Moxie over on a playdate to meet their new dog Buddy (yes, like the Elf who walked through the candy cane forest and the sea of swirly twirly gum drops) Only this Buddy didn't seem too amused with Moxie and her crazy antics of bouncing all over him and sticking her paws in his mouth over and over again. Luckily Buddy didn't find her paws to be snackable.

I had to throw this pic in only because she looks so cuddly and squeeezable! I used to always wish I could have my own pet Ewok when I would watch Star Wars. Moxie I think is as close to getting to that as I'll get.

Friday we went to the Grand Canyon even though our expectations were low since after all we figured it's just a big hole in the ground and we had just found out it cost $25 to get in. When did it start costing to see God's creations is what I want to know. Once we saw it, I think our jaws dropped, it was pretty incredible! It almost looked fake because of how big it was. We were there walking around for almost 3 hours taking pictures.



Matt went bouldering around on some of the riskier parts where I'm sure I would have looked like a bad mom if I had ventured out with him considering the obvious bun in the oven. So I stayed at a safe distance and took pictures of him being reckless instead. This picture doesn't do it justice as to how high up they were, or how far of a drop that would be with one slip. I started to get a little anxiety just watching. Matt got to mingle with the hippie sitting on the end who said he had been dreaming of coming to this exact spot to sit and contemplate life. I'd venture to say the lady I saw with the long dreadlocks and the two kids she was letting climb all over the rocks near the edge were his wife and children. Just a guess though.

Another pic of the the Moxie monster thoroughly enjoying her vacation and the warm weather.


Our last day we went to a lake in town to walk around. Moxie is showing her best side in this
pic.

On the way home we had to document the temperature outside on our way through Pheonix. Seriously??! I'm melting just thinking of how hot that is. At one point when we were almost to California and it was still 106 outside we nearly ran out of gas. A sign lied when it said the next gas station was in 60 miles, ending up being some shack that looked like it had been closed for 10 years. We had only 25 miles or so left on our tank and Carmen the Garmin (our trusty GPS) said the nearest gas station was over 40 miles away, way off the freeway. YIKES! I started picturing us standing on the side of freeway: Sweaty man and pregnant lady holding melting dog with thumbs in the air pleading for a ride. It could make for a funny story later, but I wasn't in the mood at the time for such an adventure. Thankfully a Chevron appeared on the horizon like a mirage in the desert. Our GPS wasn't so trusty after all. Thank you Chevron for saving us even though your gas prices were ridiculously ridiculous.

All in all it was a fabulous vacation. 5 days and 6 nights spent at our own private resort (or technically Uncle Steve and Aunt Rosie's house they so kindly lent to us while they were away on vacation). It was the perfect babymoon. And one we hope to do again with our new addition in tow next time.

4 comments:

rachel garber said...

Love it! I just saw the GC too and it looks unreal! I'll post my pictures in a few days . . .

Victoria said...

I can relate to the anxiety you felt with Matt so close to the edge. When we were there last year, Erik jumped down to a lower ledge at one point, and sort of tripped. Had he not caught himself he would have gone flying over the side of the Grand Canyon! That still makes me nervous to think about :(.

Sounds like you had a fun trip!

Kami Satterlee said...

Okay, I'm totally confused because I'm retarded. Where do you guys live? California like your blog says? And hello, could you be any more adorable pregnant? I'm so jealous......:)

Naylor Family said...

Too bad we couldn't have met up while you were here! It would've been fun! Glad you had a fun trip, and found a gas station! Where in Cali are you? How long did it take to get to Mesa?