Thursday, July 30, 2009

Happy Birthday to MOI

Lucky me I got to hang out with some of my most favorite people on my bday: My mom, my brother Ben, sister in law Chantal and the hubs too. The first three all originally came to California to support Matt and his family and go to his dads memorial service which was on Saturday, but they arrived on Thursday and it just so happened the day of my birth a whopping 25 years ago was on friday. We decided the night before to go to Santa Barbara for the day and roam around. The weather was beautiful! It was mid seventies with a nice ocean breeze provided just for me (that was the theme of the day: hey it must be for your birthday!)
First we visited the Santa Barbara Mission which is one of the prettiest ones in southern california.
Matt made such a good monk that they offered him a job there.

The fountain with pretty lily pads that they placed on the water just for my birthday I'm sure.
Then we went to Stearns Wharf to walk on the pier. First we took this pic with just Ben and Chantal, then one with them and Mom, then I was added to the mix and finally we got brave and had a stranger take one of all of us together. But when mom asked the guy to take a pic he thought we meant with his camera and was a little confused. He didn't want a snapshot of random strangers to take home with him? why ever not?


Lastly around 4 we went to the beach. We slathered on the SPF, but as you can see by my noticeably red chest we were all already toasted from walking around beforehand! We had a great view of the crashing waves, probably the "breast" view on the beach. Yes indeed just for my birthday there was a lady smack dab in front of us whom we couldn't help but notice thought her bosom needed some vitamin D from the sun. And some sun she got! I'm a girl so I was allowed to look and that foreigner was gonna need more then a little aloe vera later on that night. My mom sewed some nursing covers recently for Chantal and I, or hooters hiders as we call them, and we thought maybe we should offer one for that lady to use. :) It made for quite the shocking, but funny beach trip!

After our fun filled day we decided to extend the party and went for Thai food in Simi. It was deeeeeelish. The thai iced teas were delectable and we all shared pad thai and garlic beef. Mmmmm. Then to top it off, after dinner we jumped in the hotel pool where they were staying.
The day from start to finish was perfect just hanging out with family, laughing and making memories. Thanks for making my birthday a memorable one!

6 comments:

kprow said...

Looks like a fun weekend

Jason & Shannon said...

Fun! Happy birthday! I really enjoy the new apartment. Crazy people at beaches. We saw a topless woman, she was quite large and it was pretty gross!

Victoria said...

Did you guys actually stay there with the topless woman? I would have moved and probably reminded her that this is not Europe. How annoying.

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

I thought it was a great 4 days. I am so glad we could go to Ed's memorial - Rosie and the boys did a great job. I agree - Matt makes an awsome monk, and it was good to meet your ob dr. Glad you had a happy 25th celebration, mickey or no mickey.

The Nielsons said...

Happy belated birthday to you and Matt. Sounds like good times...looks like great times in the California sun and beaches.

Sven & Trin said...

Hey Kristin,

Does your mom have a pattern for those hooter hiders or does she wing it? Being a military spouse, I'm constantly surrounded by pregnant womam/moms and I've thought of making them myself to give as gifts and such. Could your mom help me out?