Saturday, August 9, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll


I totally forgot to blog about the most exciting thing that happened two weeks ago. I started my new job working the front desk for a cardiologist at Los Robles hospital and it was my second day there learning the ropes. The office is on the third floor and I was standing there talking with two of the other girls who were sitting down at the time. All of a sudden one of the girls said there was an earthquake going on. I hadn't noticed, but as soon as she mentioned that I started hearing everything begin to rattle and noticed the floor starting doing a little dance underneath my feet. It was so surreal! It was pretty slow at first and then there was a sudden big jerky kind of shake and one of the girls grabbed my hand at that point. It kept going on and on and on, which I thought was pretty weird since I heard normally they are only a couple of seconds long. The best part of the experience was that during that whole thing I was laughing. Yep, uncontrollably laughing. It was such a weird feeling having the building and floor move about that I couldn't help it! My manager (who has grown up in california) was almost in tears and kept saying "it's not funny! stop laughing, it's not funny!" Finally it stopped and as soon as it did everyone hit up the news websites to see what magnitude it was. At first they reported it as a 5.6 and then it was later dropped to a 5.4. It wasn't even close to being a big one, but the news made it sound like a real doozy. Even in Idaho it was all over the news so my mom and brother Bryson were pretty worried cuz I guess they tried calling me a couple time and the line was busy! They were picturing all of California in rubble thanks to the news being overly dramatic! So I am officially a Californian now, having survived my first real earthquake. Hopefully that little one wasn't a precursor for the big guy that is supposedly bound to happen one of these days according to CNN 

3 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

I giggled as I read about you giggling and that lady telling you it wasn't funny. I would have been giggling too- it's one of those things I can't help (laughing at the MOST inappropriate times).

rachel garber said...

I remember living through my first quake in Washington. I think it was a 6.0 and it wasn't too bad. I kept thinking, "This is what they keep having us practice drills for at school!?" Welcome to the club :)

Unknown said...

dude i LOVE, oh excuse me... HEART your new blog background. super oober cute. and it was almost surreal when we heard about the quake down.. or up? here. Bryson and A. Michelle were all trying to get through to you and msn.bc had a headline. EARTHQUAKE IN LA!!! STORY DEVELOPING!!!! and it sounded super scary. So it was pretty funny to hear that thats all that went down over yonder. :)