Thursday, October 3, 2013

We have a 4 year old?!

 We celebrated Sawyer's fourth birthday this past Tuesday. My mom recently found my baby book and gave it to me and in going through it I realized that I totally remember my 4th birthday! Not any birthday before that, but I definitely remember my barbie cake and my friends coming on the day I turned 4 which meant Sawyer was going to remember this birthday! No pressure! 

The day before we went to Chik Filet with my friend Rachel and her little girl Ivory. Sawyer and Ivory share the same exact birthday and for that reason Ivory is pretty convinced they are going to get married one day. They have a lot of fun together and it's cute to watch them interact. 



Later that day my parents went with me to pick up the full mattress that we purchased the past weekend for Sawyer's room. We decided to move his twin bed into the baby's room for when guests are over and now Sawyer has a nicer and bigger bed that he can hopefully have until he is at least a teenager! Monday night he went to bed late and I had to wake him up pretty early Tuesday morning to get ready for daycare and preschool. I made him Star Wars spaceship french toast and hot cocoa for his birthday breakfast, but he was so out of it I don't think he even noticed! 


I had a doctor's appointment that morning at a new office with a new doctor. I switched doctor's because the one I was seeing only delivers at the downtown St. Lukes and I would really like to deliver at the Meridian location which is closer to where we live. Sawyer's birth, from first measly contraction to being born, was a total of 12 hours.  I think this one will be a lot faster so I'd rather be delivering at a nearby hospital! When I went for my appointment they used the doppler to get the baby's heartbeat and couldn't find it. For around 3 or 4 minutes (which felt like an eternity at the time) the doctor moved the doppler every which way on my abdomen and could find my hearbeat, but not the baby's. I was starting to get nervous and I think he may have been too so he suggested we do a really quick ultrasound. I was thinking if anything were to be wrong with the baby, what a horrible day for it to be on since it was Sawyer's birthday and we had a party with family planned for later that night! Thankfully, with the ultrasound I got to see the baby and it had a healthy heart rate of 158 so I was able to breath a sigh of relief. The ultrasound tech even printed out a photo of the baby's head for me which was really nice. Unfortunately, we didn't get to any other parts besides the head and my anatomy scan had to be rescheduled for a whole week later then it was originally since I'm with a new doctor. We won't find out whether this one is a he or a she until October 22nd which seems like forever away!  


After my appointment I picked up Sawyer's birthday treat of choice from Krispy Kreme to take to preschool. He was very specific in that he wanted, "Donuts with chocolate icing and colored sprinkles". 
When I got to his preschool all the kids were sitting in a circle and the teacher had Sawyer come up in front so she could put a birthday crown on him and then all the kids in their little voices sang him happy birthday. Talk about torture for a pregnant lady!! It was so dang cute I was trying my hardest not to cry!! I'm not usually sentimental like that so it took me by surprise how emotional I felt about my baby turning four! 


The kids were beyond excited to get to wear the Krispy Kreme hats. 



That night at seven we had his Zombie birthday party. A few weeks earlier when he had nailed down a Zombie theme I had found this super fun blog with great ideas about throwing a Zombie party minus  the blood and gore. I basically took all the ideas from that! I got all the decorations from the dollar store and spent a little over $20 for everything. Not too shabby! We decided on only inviting family instead of doing a friend birthday. I think we will do one of those next year. 



We got some dry ice at the grocery store earlier that day and it was pretty cool! Sawyer and Matt and my grandpa were having lots of fun blowing into the bowl to make the smoke go everywhere. 



We had some BRAINS cupcakes that Megan and Kevin had found at Toys R' Us and bought for Sawyer's party, some lemon-lime punch with sprite, chocolate eyeball candies and popcorn boxes filled with white chocolate covered popcorn and m & m's. 







We sang him happy birthday, he blew out his four candles (FOUR!!! I'm still in disbelief), we ate treats and then he opened up his presents. And oh yes, switched to another one of his crowns somewhere in between. 







That night he crashed into his new bed after playing with ALL of his new presents. He changed into the BSU sweats from my parents, shot his cap fun for a while that we gave him, put the money in his bank from Aunt Linda and John, traced numbers in the book from my grandparents, put 3 of the 5 Disney puzzles together from Rosie and Steve, and then stayed up super late watching Matt put together his Lego truck from his nana Carol. So much for saving some of the new things to play with the next day! At the end of the day when I was tucking him in he said "Thanks mommy for bringing donuts to my preschool and setting up a Zombie table for me". What more can you ask for?!





3 comments:

kwriter said...

I cannot believe he is four years old! I told Matt that while you all live in Boise, Sawyer cannot forget his USC roots. Matt promised to teach him the USC victory sign :-)

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

Yay for turning 4. Such a lucky boy to have fun parents who throw him a Zombie Party.

Unknown said...

I'm glad all things are going well. I was in the same boat...twice they couldn't get the heart beat so wound up with two extra ultra sounds. We found out September 11th we're having a little girl and she is petite to say the least. I have only gained +2 lbs (-4 at the beginning and +6). I have an Ultra sound this Friday (10/11) to check growth and such and my diabetic test but I'm sure things will be fine.
I am so excited for you and your family we could have a play date sometime if you'd like. Are you still at the Woman's Clinic?