Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Results Are In!

     
Well, after twenty-one long weeks of waiting, we finally were able to discover the gender of this little in-utero acrobat. Sawyer had daycare and preschool last Tuesday and was going on a trip to the farm to pick out a pumpkin and we had my doctor's appointment that morning at 9 so it was a big day for all of us! At my appointment we had the anatomy ultrasound first, which lasted a whole thirty minutes, which is way longer and thorough then I remember Sawyer's anatomy scan being. The sonographer was so great and communicated every step of the way of what she was looking for. Baby's heartbeat was 159, all four chambers of the heart looked great, the spine was closed (something I was worried about since I wasn't regularly taking my prenatal with folic acid in the beginning due to nausea), both hemispheres of the brain looked good, two kidneys were visible, the diaphragm was in the right spot and ultimately everything looked perfect (insert audible sigh of relief!). 


In the very beginning of the ultrasound this is how our baby made it's first impression..... digging for gold in it's nose! Then we couldn't help but notice immediately afterwards that hand went directly to it's mouth. Hahaha so classy. 


 After about 25 minutes of identifying parts and measuring them, we finally moved on to see what kind of goods this baby was sportin'. I had been looking for boy parts the whole time, but the 
sonographer moved so quickly and the images were hard to decipher so I hadn't seen anything definite yet. I had mentioned beforehand that we already had a four year old son and that I was pretty certain this baby was a boy too. In fact the night before I had a super restless night of sleep filled with at least ten or so dreams that we were having a boy. So....you can imagine my surprise when she said "Well, looks like your son is going to have a little sister" and wrote "It's a girl!" on the photo below. 


 WHAT?!! 

I was (and still am) in shock!! 
I immediately got all teary and had to be given a tissue. No, not teary out of disappointment, but out of pure happiness! I guess deep, deep down somewhere I wanted a girl??? Maybe because I know this is our last baby? I even surprised myself with my emotional reaction. Matt then confessed he had a hunch the whole time it was a girl. Sneaky sneakster never even once mentioned that to me! He said he thought we would end up following in the steps of both my brother and sister who have had a boy followed by a girl. Also a bunch of my cousins who are pregnant right now too all happen to be having girls as well! Looks like they come in waves! 

I had a bunch of people that morning texting me asking me what the gender was, but I wanted to do something fun to announce it so we hurried home and I set these pumpkins up to deliver the message. 


When we picked Sawyer up from daycare we asked him if he wanted the baby to be a boy or a girl and he said "A grill. Because then we will have two mommy's and two daddy's in our family", apparently he wants an even ratio of boys and girls in the fam! So the little dude got his wish of a baby sister! 

The next day at school my friends surprised me with a "It's a girl" balloon, card and gift bag with her first two outfits and socks. Let the influx of pink begin! May I present to you her future homecoming outfit....


We have her first name picked out, but are still settling on the middle name, although we have a few contenders. Her first name is one syllable so I wanted a three syllable middle name so that she has 7 syllables in her full name just like Matt, Sawyer and I do.  I also didn't want to have a middle name ending in -y, -i or -e because I thought it sounded too sing-songy with our last name ending in -i, but it has been super difficult to find a middle name we both like that falls within those guidelines so it looks like I'm going to have to let one or both of those requirements go! Oh well, we have another nineteen weeks to figure it out! 

I keep looking at the ultrasound photo on our fridge of the VERY visible three lines that depict there's a female baking away in there and just laugh because I still can't quite believe we are going to be parents of a little girl!! Eeeek! Somebody pinch me! :) 

9 comments:

The Hickman Family said...

I'm never on here anymore, but got a wild hair tonight & am all choked up over here! This is seriously so similar to what happened finding out Hallee. Total shock & full of excitement! Congratulations!

endlessglowbyjessica said...

Ummm a great middle name with three syllables with no I, E, or Y - Jessica :) Basically the most perfect name - and it's not weird since I REALLY want to use Kristen as a name for one of my babies! :) I know I said it already but I am super excited for you and know you are going to be the best momma to this little girl!!!! Love you!!!!

Aunt Linda said...

I guess my dream of you naming her Linda Rose was just a dream. Can't wait to find out what her real name is.

rachel garber said...

I love that you have this syllable thing going on. Which makes me super intrigued as to the first name. But I'm sure it will be awesome . . . and maybe Lost inspired?? :)
(Remember in Cali when you told me Sawyer's name ahead of his birth so I wouldn't think you stole it from the show??)

Brielle said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you !

Jason & Shannon said...

Awww!! So exciting!

Kami Satterlee said...

SOOOOO Excited for you! And so extremely jealous....I hope I am that lucky:) Congrats beautiful!

HowellAZ said...

Love it! It's funny that you talked about the number of syllables in the name because that is something Ben was talking about as well - Jett is one Eden is two, so this one should be three. Ha ha! We haven't started to narrow it down yet...maybe we'll keep putting it off until March. Congrats and we are super excited!

Unknown said...

I am so excited that you'll have a little girl; I think I already replied on FB but I'll do it here too! I can't wait to hear the name and am so happy Sawyer is excited! Hope all goes well!