Thursday, August 2, 2012

Special Announcement



I need to interrupt this delayed posting of our Coeur D'Alene trip for some breaking news.....

Sawyer is 

POTTY TRAINED!!


Alright, alright,  I might be getting an eencie bit ahead of myself there with that bold statement, but Monday night he decided he wanted to start wearing "unders". We were more than happy to oblige since I had been debating the best time to potty train and honestly, is there ever really the perfect time? I couldn't seem to find one, so it was nice that Sawyer ended up picking the time that was right for him. My friend Victoria Swanson had recommended I try a certain potty training method that takes 3 days that she has had lots of success with. It's an intense 3 days of spending every waking hour with your little and running them to the toilet any time they so much as get that 'look' in their eye. It meant lots of laundry, preparing meals beforehand, and having all household chores done and oh yes, not needing to leave the house for 3 consecutive days. I was wanting to start this potty training mission this week  and had been gearing up for it so when Sawyer embarked on it early Monday night we went full steam ahead- or 'stream' ahead in this particular case.   That night we had Sawyer throw all his diapers away (well he thinks he did, I actually retrieved them to give to another tiny bum who needs them) and we broke out all 17 of his shiny new 'Cars' themed underpants.


That first night as terrifying as it was, we put him to bed in his underwear. He slept really well....too well.  I on the other hand could not sleep at all. I tossed and turned wondering whether he was laying in soaked sheets. At 3 a.m. I checked on him and sure enough he was practically sailing on a sea of pee. I decided not to wake him though since I wanted him to discover on his own that he was wet and that it is not so fun to pee your bed. That boy slept all the way until the next morning at 8 when he finally trudged out of his room sad and wet. Poor guy. Growing up is hard to do! 
After giving him a much needed shower, we continued on through our first full day of NO diapers. With each successful trip to the toilet, meaning he so much as sprinkled a little in then he got an M&M.  By noon we had gone through six pairs of unders. By evening the count had grown to sixteen. Did I mention this method is all about loading them up with liquids to ensure lots and lots of peeing? Well we have been assured his urinary tract works great, lots of liquid went in and lots of liquid came out. And then by nightfall it seemed like he was starting to grasp the concept of keeping the underwear dry and telling me he needed to go beforehand.  We put him to be again last night in his underwear and I crossed my fingers he wouldn't dream of rain. And then lo and behold this morning he woke up dry! Granted, I did get him up at 11 pm and 5 am since he had so much liquid that day. I had to hold him upright on the toilet while he peed half-way asleep and then tucked him back in bed. He was so cute sitting there with his eyes closed dreaming and at the same time getting his business done :). Then today was the real breakthrough. All morning long he told me when he needed to go and we would run into the bathroom. By noon he was in the same underwear from the morning and they were still dry. The day looked promising! He took a nap from 12-2:30 and then woke up dry! I was one proud momma. To keep him motivated we said if he could make it to dinner with no accidents we would go get a toy. Sure enough, knowing that a new Lightening McQueen car toy could potentially be in his future that kid stayed dry the entire rest of the day. We made a trip to the store, found his dream car, returned home and then to make my heart swell even more after his bath tonight he went again on the toilet, but this time left me as he describes it "A big one!" "That splashed!" You get the idea. I never thought I'd be so proud to have to turn on the fan in the bathroom. Atta boy!

Hoping for another day of dryness tomorrow. 
Our baby is a big boy now.



 Sayonara diapers. We won't miss you. Hello extra cash. It's been two and half years since we've seen you. 


2 comments:

endlessglowbyjessica said...

That is so impressive how quick it went!!! Good job Sawyer!!!!

kwriter said...

Three years ago did you ever think you would write such an entry for your blog? Hysterical! It brings back memories, especially the part about the extra spending money :-)