Monday, August 20, 2012

Desk

This post isn't actually about Sawyer, nor is it about the delicious chocolate cake he is scarfing down. It is about the piece of furniture that lies to the right of S. in the photo below. 
My desk. 
Last year I was looking for one and my aunt Linda found one on Craigslist that was perfect. It had cute lines, enough drawers, a hutch for my books and a chair. The only downfall was the color, but that was an easy enough thing to remedy and eventually I would get around to painting it. 'Eventually' being the key word. 


 I did make one mistake buying off Craigslist that I will never make again. I bought from someone who liked to smoke, quite often by the smell of it. I swear any time you opened up those desk drawers a cloud of smoke escaped. Take a big whiff and you'd probably get a small hit of nicotine. The good news is after spraying them with cleaner and letting them air dry out in the sun for a few days the smell finally faded to a tolerable level.


I had a little helper back then who discovered the drawers were just his size. 
Going off on a tangent now for a moment if you'd like to come with.... I was looking through photos to try and find some from a year ago when I had gotten the desk and was getting all nostalgic looking at the pictures from when we first moved into our house. It was only a year and a half ago, in fact this April will mark two years, but it seems like so long ago when I was looking at the pictures. Sawyer was practically a baby when we moved in! He was over a year old, but comparing those pics to how big he is now makes me realize just how young he really was. It also made me realize that Sawyer will never remember NOT living in this house. It will be all he has ever known. We moved here for him, to a place where we could afford to buy a house that we could turn into a home and raise our child (and someday more children) in. It's strange to me that he won't know anything different. In fact when he is a teenager he will probably think his parents are super lame for moving him here from California--a place that I am almost positive at that age he will think is infinitely cooler than Idaho!

Tangent over. Desk story resumed....

So if you recall I had big plans of painting things this summer. Our front door being one of them. And my desk being another. Well check and check! 

The desk I painted white, got new knobs to replace the outdated ones, recovered the chair seat and painted the chair a green color to match. 



Our front door Matt and I had bought the paint for ages ago. One called Cherry Cobbler--yum. That little quart of cherry cobbler sat on a shelf in the garage and sat and sat and sat some more. Finally one Friday night around nine thirty p.m. we decided it was as good a time as any to paint. By the time we had everything ready like the door taped and the floor covered and the knobs removed it was closer to ten thirty p.m. So there we were in the night, front door wide open for all our neighbors to see inside with two paint brushes in hand smearing our black door red until close to midnight. If that's not the definition of spontaneity I don't know what is. 




6 comments:

Shannon said...

LOVE the door!!!!

Rhonda Marie said...

I'm glad we can be open about our stalking and be official blog friends!

kwriter said...

You are so talented!

kwriter said...

You are so talented!

Mike and Alli said...

Ha ha, you totally sound like me! Making my dreams happen... one slowly executed plan after the next. :)

Victoria said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, by the time Sawyer is old enough to care about living in California, we'll either have been swallowed by the sea or the cost of living here will be so high that no one will even consider moving here. Ha! In all honesty, he can come hang out with Ryan who will teach him how to surf. Nice painting by the way ;).