Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lightening McQueen

Sawyer's room has always had a tractor/truck/car kinda vibe, but in the past year he has gotten the Lightening McQueen fever. The tractor tippin', Mater lovin', "Kachow!" shoutin' kind of fever. He already had a Cars themed sheet set for his toddler bed, but we decided to move him into the twin that we had in the guest room and pack the 'baby' bed up--after all he is an underwear clad dude now! I didn't want to spend a lot of money on getting a whole new Cars themed twin bed set or decor so instead got creative. 
I kept the pillow case on his pillow, used his old X-Large fleece blanket as his comforter and decided to 'recycle' the toddler sheet by putting it into his big red frame on his wall.  Then thanks to my friend Michelle who showed me her son's super cute bedroom, I borrowed her idea of using black electrical tape to create a road all around his room and then found Cars decals at Target for less than $10. Now he has all his favorite characters driving around his room! In his little world, it doesn't get much better than that. 



A few months before I had painted his dresser with what little spray paint we had leftover from previous projects and it was just enough to take the dresser from blah to cute. 



Below is the view of the room that Sawyer now has while laying on his bed, starting with what he sees directly across which are the car looking shelves I had bought cheap at a consignment store last year. They are holding the whole collection of Roald Dahl books that I can hardly wait to someday read to Sawyer.
 Matilda! The BFG! James and the Giant Peach!
 All classics if you ask me. 




Then when he looks straight up on the wall next to him there's the Yield sign and Stop sign donated by my aunt Linda that she had painted when she was a kid. 



On over to the door, the road goes as Sawyer puts it "Up, up, up and down, down, down". 




And right across the closet doors. 




Then down, down, down, back to the corner with the shelves. Of course Lightening McQueen is on that wall so Sawyer has the best view of his main man. At night he sleeps with the stop light on. We found it a garage sale for a buck and the lights flash slowly like they do in the movie on the lone stoplight in Radiator Springs. 




And lastly the final touch on his Cars room is this plate cover that Matt had picked up at Home Depot a few months ago. Maybe that's what set this ball in motion of having a Cars themed room! Well in the end it was cheap to do and it makes Sawyer happy. If that's all it takes at this age to make all his dreams come true then we are happy to entertain his Cars fixation. 




6 comments:

Shannon said...

SO CUTE!! I LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

Cute! I had a hard time picturing it when you were telling me, I imagined it on the floor for some reason.

endlessglowbyjessica said...

I am so impressed!!!! I am so not crafty like this and am jealous of anyone who is!!! I also am jealous on what a steal it all was! Oh man! It looks so good... if I was a little boy this would be my version of Heaven for sure!! Wow... seriously when I have kids I may have to hire you!

Victoria said...

Fun :). We had those same decals for about ten minutes on Ryan's wall before he pulled them all off and stuck them together. Guess next time I shouldn't put them within his reach ;).

THE CORMELL FAMILY said...

You did such a great job, it's so cute & fun!!!

Jason & Shannon said...

Cute, good idea.