Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Bits and Pieces

  First off, thanks Nana for mailing us some delicious chocolate chip cookies! The package came today and S. devoured two of them in a matter of seconds (we won't mention how many Matt and I have already consumed.) 



He's been all smiles the past two days. Last night we went out for hamburgers after the chicken curry I'd made for dinner turned out to be a little  a LOT too spicy.  While we were out Sawyer noticed.... the MOON! He wanted to stare and point at it and do nothing else.  After we assured him it would be there all night, and tomorrow night and the next, we were finally able to buckle him back in the car to go home. 


Sawyer's infatuation with magnets is still going strong so we decided to take matters into our own hands and construct him his own magnet board for his room. The alternative is that he's always under foot in the kitchen attaching magnets to the fridge or wants to be in the office while Matt's working so he can take them on and off the filing cabinet, over and over and over again. 


First we bought two metal sheets at the Craft Warehouse. Then last night Matt glued some cardboard on the back to keep the two sheets together and make them less flimsy and I glued some fuzzy cloth around the edges since the corners were kind of sharp. Today I glued a ribbon to the back and pinned in to the wall so it's just at his height. Tada! He seems to like it so far. 



The other project we've done lately is made these faces that we found in the Keeping Your Toddler Busy book. I glued felt to two oval pieces I'd cut out of cardboard (my oatmeal box to be exact, which is why all the oatmeal packets that were previously in it are now in a heap in the cupboard) to make the faces. Then I just cut out a few lips, eyes, noses, eyebrows, and hair out of different colored pieces of felt. Then he can arrange them in whatever way he wants on the heads and the felt pieces relatively stay put on the felt face. Right now he likes to make quite the interesting individual by putting all the eyes and all the mouths on one head. I just keep all of it together in a Ziploc bag and keep in the diaper bag. I figure it should come in handy when we are waiting for an appointment at the doctor or the dentist. 



Yesterday we ventured outside again. Sawyer ran around in the backyard playing with the dogs while I picked up the dogs poop.  I'd say he had the better job. Although I did come across my missing orange ear plug. Apparently they are non digestible :)



My parents dog Libby, who we are so lovingly taking care of while we stay at their house (that was for you mom, don't worry, we are making sure she's staying alive until you return) has some very interesting talents. She's especially good at scooting her bum on the floor, the carpet, and down the grassy hill in the backyard. Sawyer was intently watching her perform this talent while we were outside. Next thing I know he's sliding down the hill on his bum too. Monkey Doggie see, Monkey Baby do. 



6 comments:

Jason & Shannon said...

The dog was doing that while we were there for emily's wedding.

I love the felt faces idea! So neat, and the magnet board!

rachel garber said...

Hey Kristen!

I'm faster at writing this way than texting you back but I wanted to tell you that of course I have to invite you! It may be a bit dull - many of the women will be from my home ward BUT Ryan will be there so you can meet him :) Don't feel pressured to show up - just wanted you to know I want you there!

HowellAZ said...

Ha! Looks like you guys are having a good time in Boise! In that first picture Sawyer reminds me of Bryson...there's some family resemblance! I really wish you guys could meet up with us next weekend. Any chance?

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

I just read that you can by magnetic paint in the home improvement store and paint a whole wall. Sawyer could go crazy with magnets.

Amy and Craig said...

Your little monkey reminds me of Bryson so much at this age!

soliluna said...

love the felt faces and Sawyer's magnet board! We may have to try out the felt idea. Sounds like a fantastic book.