Friday, October 9, 2009

10 Things I Didn't Know About Motherhood

1. That the labor and delivery of a baby is something you always hear about and are somewhat prepared for it's difficulty. What you aren't informed of is how hard the recovery process is and all the "fun" things that go along with that. I was in for a shock when I found I could barely walk, let alone use the bathroom!

2. The moment you see the little being that has been inside you for nine long months you realize how insignificant all the annoyances of being pregnant really were. The bathroom breaks every half an hour, the insane nausea and vomiting in the beginning, the tossing and turning every night trying to get comfortable, the being so huge you can barely bend over, all of it is so worth it if that's what it took to create this perfect creature with ten toes, ten fingers, cute miniature nose and teensy mouth.
3. You don't realize the vast amount of patience you really have until you are trying to diaper and swaddle a newborn who is crying his little head off every hour during the night.

4. You get overwhelmed with emotion and intense love for the individual in this tiny packaging and suddenly realize why your parents did the things they did for you growing up.

5. Hearing gaseous noises coming from your baby's butt that are so loud you're surprised his diaper didn't get blown off is actually endearing and so is seeing the stinky parcel inside that he's left for you. Also the fact that he peed on my leg as his first way of saying hello after he was born is pretty cute and I'm sure he'll get a kick out of that when he is older.

6. I didn't realize how one of my proudest moments to date would be when I saw the trickle of liquid coming from Sawyers mouth after I was feeding him and knew that my milk had come in! For some reason I was so afraid that my bubbies wouldn't get the job done, that ecstatic doesn't even convey how excited I was when I saw the evidence that they were working properly!


7. How amazed you are that some people still think that humans are a product of evolution and not a product of God when they can witness themselves a new baby. Inspecting each tiny feature is more then enough evidence of how we are uniquely designed by God.

8. You find that seeing your husband in the role of Daddy like watching him sleeping with your baby or snuggling the little man on his chest is far sexier then anything else.


9. You are flabbergasted at how your mom had her first two kids by age 25, raised 4 altogether, and spent so much time and energy on all of us individually. I can barely imagine having enough energy to raise just one so far!


10. And last but not least you find that watching your baby sleep and hearing him make funny noises that sound like piglets snorting or a seagull squawking is more entertaining then watching your favorite sitcom on tv. I guess we can cancel our DVR now.

8 comments:

rachel garber said...

You kill me. You just keep it real and I love it :)

The Walkers said...

Congratulations on your bundle of joy!! He's a keeper! :) Enjoy every second.

Megan said...

Good things to know. Counting down the days til I get to hold him! He is just as cute and sweet as Jett (from an unbiased opinion) They are perfect.

Bobrey and the Boys said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful. I love your list, and I am very much looking forward to the whole experience.

Victoria said...

Great post!

The Nielsons said...

Wow-it's interesting to think back to those times-some ways so hard and some ways so easy. Just enjoy every stage. Congrats little mommy!

Camille said...

I love your post about being a mom. It is so true that you cannot prepare yourself for the immense love you feel for that little one until you finally do. Congratulations!

Naylor Family said...

I guess I hadn't checked your blog enough! Congrats on Sawyer. He is so cute! Motherhood is quite the experience. Enjoy him and cuddle him as much as you can. It's amazing how fast you forget about all the horrible pregnancy stuff and recovery stuff. Before you know it, you'll want to do it all over again! Haha!! Good Luck, and enjoy!