Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Matt and Kristen Kronicles

In light of our 3 year anniversary I was going through my journals the other day to read about the early days of when Matt and I first started dating. 95% of our relationship was via text messaging and talking on our phones since he lived in California and I was going to school in Utah. I wrote down a ton of our text conversations down in my journal and I'm so glad I did! They are sooooo hilarious, silly, mushy and sappy and just reading them you can tell how head over heels we were over each other! My sister told me the other day that she remembers me texting on my phone with a big grin on my face at the dinner table, having some kind of funny conversation with Matt at that time. I was totally in la la land a majority of the time. The people at Matt's work thought he had some imaginary girlfriend that he was always on the phone with since they had never seen me in person! We figured we saw each other face to face (not including when we first met) a grand total of 4 or 5 times before we decided I would move to California and we would tie the knot!
I moved home to Boise for a month or two for the holidays and then after Christmas '05 Matt flew in to Idaho, loaded up my Ford Taurus to the brim with all my belongings and we made the trek down to California to move me into my very own apartment! Matt waited 3 weeks after that before he popped the question. This pic was while we were engaged and visiting my dad in Vegas while he was on a business trip.

Two nights before the big day we went down to Santa Monica Pier with my friends Kim and Melissa who flew in to be my bridesmaids. Here we are all twinkly-eyed about to become a married couple in less then 48 hours!

When I was in elementary school I would always write "...and it was a sunny day" in all my stories. And luckily so was our wedding! It was a beautiful sunny day amidst weeks of rain. We couldn't have asked for better weather. The whole day from start to finish was perfect, but by the end of the night our cheeks were hurting from smiling so much!

On our honeymoon in Maui. The best vacation we both had ever had. If we could have found jobs there I think we would have stayed indefinitely.

In our first apartment together. A rinky dink, size of a refrigerator kind of place, but boy did it make us appreciate the next one we moved to. Everything else seemed like a mansion in comparison!

First Halloween married. This was'06 when Pirates of the Caribbean was a big hit so we dressed up like swachbucklers along with everybody else. I also won one of the last pair of tickets that year off the radio for a My Chemical Romance concert that was on Halloween night. I've been trying to win something again ever since.

Our first Christmas with our midge Christmas tree and it's 3 or 4 teeny tiny ornaments.

That first year we spent more then a few Saturdays at the happiest place on earth since we had Disney passes. I lost count how many times we rode Splash Mountain, but I know for a fact we never went on "It's A Small World" not even once. This summer we're going on my birthday since you get in free, but pretty sure this time around "It's A Small World" might be the only ride we can go on with my the 7 month pregnant belly.

This was our Christmas this past year with the newest addition to our little fam. at that time. We're glad we chose a puppy when we did since all in all it had to have prepared us somewhat for what the future holds with a baby. Except I hope our little one is not as furry or likes to lick your face.

The past 3 years since our wedding have whizzed by and I can honestly say the more days I spend with my hubby the more and more in love I fall with him. Some of my favorites about him are: that he always offers to wash all the pots and pans since I hate washing anything that doesn't fit in the dishwasher, he wakes me up every single morning to kiss me goodbye before work and doesn't even resent the fact that I'm still all snuggly in bed while he's off to ride his bike in the morning cold, he always lets me have the remote so I can watch whatever I want even though I'm pretty sure he doesn't truly enjoy watching Jon and Kate plus 8 or A Baby Story on TLC, he makes me change the channel when something scary is on since he says I'll have nightmares (which he is always right about), he has squished every last spider for me that has crossed my path since we've been married and sprays for spiders every spring to save me a few less 8 legged creature freak outs, while I had the eternal morning sickness and would spend the weekends rotating between sleeping in bed and being sick in the bathroom he would always check on me and if there was only one particular thing that sounded good to me that I could stomach he would run out to get it, ever since we found out I'm gluten intolerant he always read the ingredients on anything new we get at the grocery store to save me from a tummy ache, he is the most intelligent person I know but never makes me feel silly when I have to ask him for help on my homework (which was most of the time in Math and Chemistry), he cuts the coupons out of the Sunday paper every weekend, he has so much more patience and takes much better care of Moxie then I do even though I was the one who said I HAD to have her and would brush her everyday, and last but not least he helps me be a better person and I wouldn't be as grounded or happy or complete if he hadn't come into my life when he did and that is something I'm grateful for everyday.



5 comments:

Janna Mills said...

Kristen this was so so sweet!! I'm at work and I read it and I started crying a little bit! ha ha talk about EMBARRASSING! :D You two are so adorable.

Megan said...

That's what marriage should be! you guys look so good together, and I love the hawaii picture, how come you didn't put up the scandelous towel picture from the beach? ha ha jk. Love you guys.

kimberly said...

AWW! I think the first time I really got to be around Matt was when I flew up for the wedding. I remember thinking how perfect you were for each other and how he treated you so sweet, thank goodness you found each other. It was fun to read about when you were dating and on cloud nine, and I don't think I knew (or I don't remember) that you saw one another those few times before you decided to make the move to Cali. - it was definitely meant to be! I loved all the pics! Made me miss ya though :( Love ya

Steve and Hailey said...

I wish every couple would do the chronicles on their blog! I love your story! Since I was little I have had this need to have everyone happy and I feel that especially with family. Hooray for both of you. Steve and I wish we were closer to hang out.

The Nielsons said...

What a great look down memory lane. Thanks for sharing. My anniversary is this month and I might just have to use some of your great anniversary blogging ideas.