Thursday, September 25, 2008

On the move again.

Matt and I have stayed in one place now going on two years. Much too long usually for the likes of me. I get itching to move right around the 6 month mark; however, the apartment we have been in we actually love and wouldn't mind staying in if we weren't on a mission. What kind of mission? A money saving kind!!!!! I won't spill the beans on how much we pay in rent right now for this 2 bedroom/1 bathroom apartment we're in only because it would blow the minds of anyone who lives in the other 47 states (new york and hawaii not included) and whose mortgage I'm sure if far far less then what we pay in rent.   




We read a book called the "Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey which I would highly recommend to anyone who doesn't enjoy living paycheck to paycheck. It is a good kick in the pants to start getting out of debt one little fork-full at a time, which then turns into a shovel- full, and soon you are on a roll and are bulldozing your way out (called the snowball effect in the book, but I like my shoveling visualization of it too) We decided to get the process going by making a drastic move.....literally. We are downsizing. Going back to a one bedroom apartment which is what we started out our married life in (the first one was about the size of a shoebox, thankfully this one is at least the size of a barbie doll house, not her 3 story dream mansion one though).


 Might not seem like a lot, but going from having an office and tons of closet space down to having NO office makes a huge difference as we are quickly finding out as we begin to move things over. Which brings me to my next point.....we are having a garage sale! Yep, my first one ever. I used to be quite the garagesaler, but have never been the garage seller. I'm excited! One of my co workers is  letting me bring all our stuff to her moms house and we are having a garage sale all together this Saturday. Let the bargaining begin! We have already sold 5 pieces of furniture on Craigslist so far and have paid off a whole credit card with that money. One down......I won't mention how many more to go! 

Check out our new humble abode:

Come on in and have a look-see. 

Watch those beams. They come out of nowhere. 

                         Cookies anyone? 

Just enough to let the light in. I think I see Matt coming home from work. 

              I think Matt's gonna need to see a chiropractor after this place. 

Alright, I'll post real pics of our new place later. After a year of living in our smaller apartment, which we will save $400 a month on, the future looks bright for us! We will be debt free and I can't wait to be able to actually save money for a house of our own one day, not be slaves to credit card companies/car loans/school loans, and most importantly I am really looking forward to being able to freely give of our money to help out others who really need it.  Here we goooooooo!!!!!!!!!! 

7 comments:

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

You two are Gazelle Intense! Pretty soon you'll be LIVING like no one else!!

Jason & Shannon said...

WOW!!! Jason is just telling me that even a dumpy place (which I am sure you aren't living in) costs a pretty penny. Yikes! Good for you for getting out of debt! YAY!

rick said...

Matt might need a chiropractor, but I'd probably need to jump to hit my head in there.

theRach said...

Kristen, that is so awesome -- good for you guys! And, I am sure that even with less space, you'll still manage to make it look super-cute. :)

rachel garber said...

That's so great!! I don't have furniture yet (if you've seen my blog, you know) because I refuse to go into debt for it and figure if I play my paychecks right, I'll have some extra cash soon enough! If only all people were as smart as us :)

HowellAZ said...

Looks just like Graceland! How lovely! Is there a guest room???

Kent and Leisy said...

for reals what is that little shack?! I love it. and way to go on the money stuff- don't ya love dave ramsey?