Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Reading Fiend

In any sort of downtime you can find Sawyer and Scout both reading. The older of the two will actually be reading, while the younger "reads" by turning page after page at the exact same speed and timing as her older brother. They both are very fond of bookmarks, and HAVE to have one to mark their spot in each and every book that so much as been opened so thankfully the library has them for free. Scout has been known to torture her brother by stealing his bookmark out of the books he is in the middle of, which sends him over the edge every time.

For Christmas Santa brought Sawyer the complete set of Harry Potter. The rest of Christmas break he read morning, noon, and night. Since then he has consumed all of the Harry Potter books 1-7 and moved on to the set of C.S. Lewis books that Matt owns and finished:

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
  
Sawyer reads after school, before bed, and in the car. I love the fact that he is experiencing different worlds, time periods, and perspectives all by opening up a book. And its fun to have him read books that I loved growing up. I checked out 'Where the Red Fern Grows' and 'The Indian in the Cupboard' for him from the library and he is moving on to those next. The problem lies in that he is only in second grade and has the reading ability of a sixth grader so he thinks he needs to have thick, lengthy books, but I want him reading age appropriate material (elementary school age) and not older content since he's only 8. 

Naturally he is an introvert, but I like that he gets to experience being an extrovert through the characters he reads about. Since he's been reading more and playing technology games less (the iPad was taken away a month or so ago for being some continuing issues of disrespectful behavior) his behavior has improved a thousand times over! He is a totally different kid. I think he has become a better friend, a nicer brother, a more respectful and polite son, and in general just a happier kid since finding a new passion in reading. And it makes me so happy that in a world of tech that he thoroughly enjoys opening up a book. I've been deliberately putting my phone away too and joining him on the couch to read. A few weeks ago I finished my first fiction book (since having kids) and moved on to finish two more.  Thanks for reminding me Sawyer how much fun it is to read! Because like my favorite episode of Arthur says "Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card!"

]



1 comment:

rachel garber said...

Are you seriously going to have a four year old next month!? What in the world??

I was a very advanced reader too, which meant the school librarians were always looking for something that would hold my attention but they weren't always good at making sure it was appropriate --- eeeeeek. I'm glad you watch out for that.