Friday, September 30, 2011

Yesterday

After my 9-12 study sesh yesterday morning, I spent the greater part of the afternoon trying to get Sawyer to take a nap. He had been refusing to sleep in his crib all week and had been climbing onto our bed when it was nap time or bed time so I laid down with him on our bed.  I had too much to do so a nap for me was out of the question, but I closed my eyes so he would think I was sleeping and do the same. Let me just say, it is extremely difficult to fake like you're sleeping and not crack a smile when you  suddenly feel slobbery little lips plant a kiss on your own lips, little fingers poking your closed eyelids, and then a nose pressed up against yours and when you sneakily take a peek you see two big blue eyes staring back at you and a goofy, smiling face a few centimeters from your own. This went on from 12:30 until 3 pm! He would NOT sleep. I left him a few times and while I will give him the credit that he did not ever try to get out of our bed, he just did everything else he could think while on it. He stood up to look out the window, laid down and hung his head off the side of the bed, switched and hung his legs of the side and swung them, made a cave out of our blankets and hid inside it. Finally at 3 I gave up and we watched Toy Story downstairs until Matt got off of work. 
Afterwards we went and ran some errand and sure enough Soyboy decided that then at 5 o'clock it was a nice time for a nap.
 What a stinkbug.
 Matt stayed in the car with him while I ran into a few different stores looking for toddler bedding. We decided with his refusal to sleep in his crib all week that it was a good time to make the switch and convert it to a toddler bed. I had no idea though how hard it was going to be to find toddler bedding, but maybe my requirement were too high. I wanted something cute with tractors or trucks and that was less then $40. That combined with how hard toddler size bedding is to find in the first place made it pretty impossible. Finally I settled for a Cars themed bed set at Walmart. I also got some tractor wrapping paper  and other birthday essentials like a #2 birthday candle. 


 Who needs presents when he can make a toy of a tube of wrapping paper? While Matt worked on turning Sawyer's crib into a toddler bed, I put Sawyer outside on his picnic bench and cut his hair. It was getting way too long and he was getting rats nests in it when he'd wake up in the morning. He doesn't like me combing his hair anyway so he was due for a short cut! He actually held still this time and I was able to cut it with my scissors instead of having to use the clippers. 

Upstairs he got to see his big boy bed for the first time complete with his new bedspread and very own pillow! He is pretty good at masking his excitement about things (as if he's telling himself to hold his smile in at all costs) but we could tell he was happy about having his very own bed. 



After a bath he went to bed at about 8:30 and climbed right in.  Below he is waving goodbye to Matt and I. That was our cue to leave and turn out the lights.



We had set up the baby monitor again just to make sure he stayed in the bed and didn't wander around his room, but he didn't even try to get out at all. He tossed and turned for a while and ended up going to sleep with his head at the other end of the bed, but all in all the big boy bed was a success! He even slept in all the way until eight this morning. Bonus! 
Tomorrow he will turn 2 years old. I feel like the only other milestone we have is potty training and then all that is baby about our boy will be gone and he will have turned into a KID.  
Gulp. 


5 comments:

kwriter said...

Love the gate-like entrance to the bed. I cannot believe he will be two years old tomorrow!

rachel garber said...

TWO!? When did this happen? I feel like you were just prego in Cali and I was having dinner with you and Matt! Geesh time flies.

HowellAZ said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Soy Boy! We sure love you and are so proud of you transitioning in to your big boy bed!

Great Grandma said...

What a kid/ You are so lucky to have him. He is a treasure I miss him alot. Hope he had a happy birthday. Grandma faye

THE CORMELL FAMILY said...

awww the big boy bed ... he is getting so big! (I say that like I've known him since birth!)