Friday, February 15, 2008

Accidents and Extractions


It seems that ever sinceI decided to get into nursing I have subconsciously decided to prepare myself for blood and guts, by being a clutz and getting into accidents. The first one was when I was making a salad for my lunch before I left for work and the knife decided to drop off the counter.....and onto my barefoot down below. Luckily it bounced right out, by boy was it a gusher! I am not one to handle seeing my own blood very well, as you will see in the next example. Thankfully though that time nothing major happened, I just called Matt and made him come home from work and spend the day watching movies with me.  I mean after all, I couldn't go to work with a hurt foot like that. (no stitches though, just a lovely scar now to show off).

A month or so later we were having a bake-a-thon, if you will, at Matt's G-ma's house with his brother and his girlfriend baking up a storm off assorted cookies. I was in charge of the sugar cookies and decorating them. Being the genius that I am I thought I would use a nearby handy looking pie cutter to get the plastic off the spinkle containers so I could put mountains of sprinkles on my awaiting frosted cookies. Then whamo! Next thing I know the not-as-safe-as-I-thought pie cutter (there was a serrated edge on it I hadn't noticed) sliced right through the top of my right hand pointer finger and through the nail. That's when it really got good. I ran to the sink and started to wash it off and Matt knowing how I react in these situations immediately came over to help me and told me not to look. His grandma worked in a doctors office for ages too so she bandaged my poor finger up good and tight, but needless to say I still passed out and ended up getting sick in the bathroom. Wow, am I the life of the party or what?! Both times though I ended up healing nicely without stitches, so since I never had to visit the doctor for those, my body found other ways to get me there...

I ended up getting a really bad ingrown toenail that prevented me from going to the gym or even walking correctly for that matter so I had to go in and get the sides of nail removed which involved getting a shot to my big toe who wanted to go wee, wee, wee, all the way home after that. Now I have a lovely Lincoln Park After Dark painted landing strip of a toenail on that foot.

Next my one and only wisdom tooth that I have which I had been told countless times would never come in, decided now was the year to make an appearance. I actually got it taken out today, got put under and everything just to get that little sucker out. But I have plenty of vicoden to keep my happy and milkshakes a plenty so it's all good. I got bored after awhile of just sitting around watching movies and decided it was time to paint a picture since I haven't in two or more years. Here is my little watercolor painting I did today that has been named the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. Original name I know. :) I'm not sure if you can tell but the right side is where I got my tooth out so if it's puffy that's why. I suspect tomorrow will look even bigger and better.  I can hardly wait!

No comments: