Monday, August 29, 2016

Kids.

These Two.


They drive each other bonkers and thus Matt and I bonkers. They fight. They scream. They tease. They squeal. Then they miss each other when the other isn't around. Wait, you guys actually like each other?? I'm so confused! The other day when Sawyer was at school Scout kept asking "Where's MY Sawyer? I want MY Sawyer!". And likewise, one time when Scout was at daycare later than usual Sawyer was saying "Come on Mom, let's go get Scout! I miss her."

I'm relieved and happy they like each other, but man oh man do they know how to push each others buttons!




Whenever I work on a Friday or Saturday night Matt has the kids the following day while I am sleeping. I sleep with ear plugs and am so tired by the time I get home that I'm out as soon as my head hits the pillow and don't hear a thing, but Matt still tries to get them out of the house for a little bit. This day he took them to a Home Depot kind of store and found these wooden animals/bugs/dinosaurs for $2 that they could build. Scout picked out a T rex and Sawyer got a flying beetle. They were pretty proud of their wooden creations and SO excited to show me when I woke up. As soon as I open my door after napping Scout always yells "It's mommy!". The fanfare every time I wake up in the afternoon on the weekend never gets old.




Scout's love of her pink baby blanket, that she named her "Mimi" long ago,  is still going strong. She takes that thing everywhere, just like Sawyer did with his "Bluey". He still sleeps with his blue baby blanket, but it mostly resides on his bed now and doesn't travel with us. Scout, on the other hand, brings her Mimi everywhere and believes that everyone must be as fond of her pink blanket as she is. She holds her blanket up to show strangers and says "See my Mimi" whenever we are out. Today in the car Sawyer was sad, so I heard Scout telling him in the backseat "Here Sawyer. I share my Mimi. You pet my Mimi? She's so nice" and was showing him how to pet her pink blanket as if it has magical powers that will make him feel better. That's some blanket!


She is also quite fond of hair accessories and sometimes decided she needs all of them in at once. 




Remember how I said they sometimes like each other? Scout doesn't ever like to sleep in her own bed so we let her fall asleep in our bed or Sawyer's bed and then move her into her own later on. She wanted to sleep with Sawyer this particular night and when we went in to move her found the two of them cuddling. I HAD to take a photo. Especially, since earlier that same evening they were fighting NON stop! 





Scout's pink dog costume she likes to sport once in a while. 


And sandals, a beanie and sunglasses sound like an excellent outfit for summer when you are two years old. 


She is like her dad in that she has to wear sunglasses in the car because the sun apparently hurts her eyeballs. She and Sawyer both sound like the wicked witch of the West melting whenever the sun so much shines a tiny bit in their eyes. She is like me though in the fact that she loses all of her sunglasses. I think she and I have both gone through three pairs of glasses this summer. 



Both of our kids have this fascination with stuffed animals. Have I mentioned before that I loathe clutter? Like literally loathe it and stuffed animals fit that category perfectly. They seem to have no purpose in life besides being left behind in every room for me to trip over as they stare up at me with their blank, beady eyes. Every time I turn around it's like the stuffed animals we do have are procreating because they seem to be multiplying! What started with some Build a Bears from Matt's mom a couple years ago has turned into this mass collection of all sizes and shapes of every stuffed animal imaginable.  Matt likes to tease me though about my disdain for them because he has seen a photo of me with all the stuffed animals I owned as a kid! I found the photo he was referring to and decided to recreate a photo of the kids with all of theirs. The same cabbage patch doll to the right of me in the photo is also to the right of Scout in the photo of our kids. I got her for my 1st birthday so that doll is 31 years old! And for the record, I have since embraced the stuffed zoo our house is quickly becoming since I realize our kids will not be little forever and I may one day miss having these hundreds of stuffed Minnie's, Mickey's, R2D2's, elephants, emoji's, bears, dolls, turtles, Norwhals, aardvarks, monkeys, sheep, raccoons, and bunnies milling around. 










1 comment:

rachel garber said...

Oh my gosh I hate stuffed animals! Every single one Nixon got at birth was given to Goodwill. I only had a few as a kid and think that was very generous of my mom because it ain't happening here!