Monday, August 24, 2015

Kindergarten

  Today was the first day of kindergarten for Soyboy. We had to fill out a paper for his teacher last week asking about some things Sawyer is good at, what we would like him to get better at, three adjectives to describe him and what are some of his hobbies at home. Matt and I decided the best three adjectives for describe our boy are: inquisitive, creative, and energetic. He excels in math and can add and subtract easily in his head, and we would like him to get better at reading and writing, although he has really become interested on his own about writing lately. Some of his hobbies at home are building his own creations with legos, crafting and drawing at the kitchen table (he made an alien spaceship with a little alien that sits inside, but much to Sawyer's dismay Scout got quite attached to it and wanted to carry it around with her everywhere so we had to hide it!), and he is still really into reading books about dinosaurs,  tornadoes, sharks, and snakes (particularly Titanoboa, a 48 foot long prehistoric snake). 
Last night after I gave him a haircut on the patio, we went and had frozen yogurt to celebrate this big day for him!  This morning we all got up early and had pancakes in the shape of letters, scrambled eggs and orange juice for breakfast. Sawyer has this thing where he sleeps in his clothes for the following day, which is A-okay with Matt and I as getting him dressed in the morning used to be a huge issue! Now he wakes up and voila is practically ready to go! He brushed his teeth, put on his shoes and his new shark backpack and off we went to his school. 




At his new school we milled around with the rest of the bajillion parents while the kids attacked the playground like an army of ants.  Scout was dying to go play on the toys, so Matt entertained her by walking her around the grass until the bell rang. Then all the kids lined up in single file behind their teacher and walked over to their classroom. As they waited outside their door I was able to snap a couple pics of Sawyer before they went into the classroom. His smile said "I think I'm excited about this", but his nervous energy the past 24 hours and the tiny bit of panic in his eye when we left him at the door of his classroom is what made me cry after we left! I am not typically a crier about parenting milestones (unless I'm pregnant and then I cry about everything), so I surprised even myself when the water works started as we walked away! 



I have a ton of memories about kindergarten, in particular my cubby with my name on it, sitting in a  circle and listening to stories in the library, my first "boyfriend" who would chase me on the playground, and I especially remember how much I adored my teacher! I'm excited that Sawyer will now have life experiences from kindergarten that will be etched into his memory forever! 
He is such a fun kid and we are so happy he is ours. 

2 comments:

rachel garber said...

Can you believe he is in kindergarten? I mean, weren't you just pregnant with him and we were having dinner in California? Or you had a two year old and were at my bridal shower?? Ps. I love that he still loves tornadoes.

Victoria said...

My brother used to sleep in the clothes he was planning to wear the next day. Boys :D.