Sunday, June 22, 2014

First Couple Weeks

Well now that Scouttypants is over three months old, I've graduated from school, and passed my NCLEX, I actually have some free time to blog! I'm way behind on capturing her first few months of life and to be honest they are kind of a blur so I'm going to try my best to remember at least a few key points of Scout's entrance into our family! 

There was a lot of prep work before Scout was born in order to make things run smoothly while in school, but thankfully everything came together really well. I'm dedicating a whole separate blog post  on the specifics of how it all worked so that we don't forget the tremendous amount of help we were given in order to have a baby and graduate from school within two months of each other. 

Since Scout was born at four in the morning, we spent the following night in the hospital and left the next morning. My recovery with her was almost nonexistent, which I fully attribute to having had her naturally. I felt so good I kept having to remind myself to take it easy and not push myself too hard. She was born on a Wednesday and I missed class that Friday, but could have gone if needed. Matt, Sawyer and I actually went to school that Friday before class started to have lunch on campus and show Scout to my friends and professors. The following Wednesday I 'officially' went back to school so I was actually able to have a whole week off, which was better than I had originally anticipated! 

At her first appointment, the day after we got home from the hospital, she had already lost 10% of her body weight, which I figured might be the case since she was such a big baby and my milk hadn't come in yet. Before she was born I was a little worried how it would work with breastfeeding and going to school the first couple weeks. I wanted to solely give her breast milk if possible, so my sister shipped me some of her frozen breast milk on dry ice to have on hand in case I wasn't able to pump enough. At that first appointment we were told to supplement her with formula, but instead I was able to supplement with my sisters milk! The following day my milk came in and she started gaining back all that she had lost and then some. At her followup appointment a week later to be weighed she was back up to her birth weight of 9 pounds. 

Her first two weeks of life were mostly spent sleeping. Seriously. She slept so much that I was worried she was getting TOO much sleep, if that is even possible! She would wake up to eat, but that was about it. We estimated she slept for about 20 hours a day those first few weeks, which her doctor said was not necessarily the norm, but was okay and to be happy to have a sleeper!

Here are some of the first photos taken after she was born. 



Scout with her squishy baby face and mop of dark hair. 


This was the first photo I took of Sawyer and Scout together. I saw them sitting on the bed together and it suddenly hit me that we had child(REN), as in plural, as in TWO kids!!! 


I had to compare both kids newborn photos and decided they look very similar! Sawyer is on the left, Scout is on the right. 


Couldn't pass up the opportunity of snapping a daddy/daughter nap photo. 


This photo pretty much sums up Sawyer's initial reaction to bringing home a baby to HIS house. 



His friends on the other hand couldn't get enough of her! Landon, Trey and both of their younger siblings wanted to hold, touch, and kiss her as much as possible. I think it started to sink in after that playdate, that if his friends thought she was cool, well then maybe having a baby sister wasn't so bad after all. 


I took this photo on my phone while all four of us sat on the couch exhausted from a long night of crying. Scout slept a LOT during the day, but the evenings were rough just like they were with Sawyer. Even at three months she still will occasionally pull out the same loud wail she made when she came into the world, or as Matt calls it, her "I'm being born!!!!" cry.  



Her hair just kills me here. 
It's not very often a brand new baby gets to sport a mohawk. It was fun having a newborn with so much hair, especially since Sawyer's hair was so light and sparse when he was born. At the hospital she loved having her hair washed by the nurse who did her first bath, and that is still her favorite part of bath time at home. What a total girl :) 


Ever since we brought her home Sawyer has been really into helping me bathe Scout. Here he is the first week reading Scoutty a story while I gave her a bath. 


This was taken at McDonald's for our traditional Sunday breakfast before Scout's baby dedication at our church, which was just a week and a half after she was born. 


I was, and still am, loving every minute (or MOST every minute) of having two kids and feel incredibly blessed to be their mom! 

2 comments:

Lorena Holmstead, CHBP, CRTS, LSH said...

Love your blog! I remember the incredible feeling I had knowing we had created a sibling relationship. Do you have a way I can follow your blog?

HowellAZ said...

Great post! LOVE her hair - my gosh so much dark hair. You should give yourself a huge pat on the back for accomplishing all you did. Amazing.